A friend told me they have so many questions for me so I figured I would just write them a top ten and then thought y’all might like to see it as well. Here is my list from my time this almost full first week.
1. There are no driving rules here, (thankfully we walk everywhere) thus it’s terrifying to j-walk but we do it all the time. Eye contact and confident movement is key for not getting hit.
2. The water on the edge of land is black. It’s really polluted and nasty, prob won’t be swimming here except if we go to Pigeon Rock which is gorgeous. We had dinner there tonight.
3. I’ve been sick and its aweful cuz my belly hurts all day long; making a good attitude hard to have but my head cold is going away so that’s great.
4. My jet lag makes getting up to do devos in the morning easy. I usually get up between 630 and 730 and am alone for at least a half hour if not more.
5. I don’t love the food but part of that is learning menus and part of it is being sick. We’ve eaten out every meal so far except breakfast. ON the plus side, I know most of the main fave restaurants in the area.
6. I love our apartment, it’s awesome. We have guards outside that make us feel really safe. We have an awesome balcony overlooking basically a greenhouse and it’s like a 5 min or less walk to campus which is down the street.
7. Learning Arabic is fun, we have new words each day we practice but learning money conversions is hard.
8. The power goes out everyday for about 3 hours and sometimes extra so we rotate houses for meetings depending on who has power at certain times.
9. It’s crazy hot and pretty hard for me to adjust to not be sweating all the time. Ishhhhhhh
10. I love it here, I went to a University movie night at the theatre and it was my first time making friends and definitely the highlight of my week. I’m really excited about the student retreat next weekend to meet more people and make new friends!
Bonus: they have caribou here! so weird to have a Minnesota native plus.